PPS Inclusion Initiative
Inclusive education is a process of removing barriers and enabling all students to learn and participate effectively within general school systems:
- Policies, curricula and practices in schools and learning environments address diverse learning needs, whatever the origin or nature of those needs.
- Schools adapt to the needs of students, rather than students adapting to the needs of the school.
- Individual differences between students are a source of richness and diversity, and not a problem.
This initiative comes out of an 18-month study and review of the PPS Special Education Program. The findings of an external evaluator and analysis of survey data from six constituent groups were considered by 120 Stakeholders broadly representative of the community. PPS SpEd staff reviewed and aligned recommendations to establish a plan for 2010-2011 organized around three priority themes: Inclusion, Communication, & Collaboration.
- Jennifer Jackson, Interim Director of Special Education
- Diann Drummond, Administrative Assistant